Sunday, February 1, 2009

fabulous french toast



In my last post, I mentioned French toast. Here's the best recipe to make your own. First, I will write the ingredients and directions as in the Junior League Centennial Cookbook and then I will share pictures and my slight variation.

ingredients (to serve 4)
1 loaf of white or French bread
1 c milk
1/4 c granulated sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c bacon grease or vegetable oil
confectioner's sugar for garnish
Maple syrup

directions
Cut the bread into 3/4 inch slices. Heat the milk in a saucepan; add the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt; mix well. Dip each slice of bread into the milk mixture until well coated. Place in a flat baking dish and pour the remaining liquid over the bread. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.

In a heavy skillet, fry the bread in very hot bacon grease until golden on both sides. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve hot with maple syrup.

VARIATION: Add 2 tablespoon of Grand Marnier to the milk; decrease sugar to 1 tablespoon and vanilla to 1/2 teaspoon. (I should try this next time; I forget I keep Grand Marnier but it surely sounds delightful.)

I just do it slightly different.

First, I half all the ingredients since I'm only cooking for two.









I use butter instead of bacon grease or vegetable oil. Who keeps bacon grease?



I do not refrigerate the coated bread overnight. I don't have time for that (or space in my refrigerator). Maybe it makes it better, maybe it doesn't.




Here is the final result. Though I keep Maple syrup (as you can see), it's never been opened. I only use syrup for pancakes. This French toast is already perfectly sweetened by the sugar added to the batter.



Try it. It's GOOD. Usually, my breakfasts are really big... eggs, bacon, and hash browns but no time today. Enjoy!

No comments: