Sunday, January 18, 2009

coffee, please

I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. I've wanted a food blog. I'm no amazing cook but I do like food (don't we all?). So here is my first entry...

I don't see the point of denying myself of coffee. We all need our vices and this is one (among several). I love the stuff (practically since birth). It must come from having a French influenced family. We want our cafe sua da.

I remember being a very, very little girl and my mom forcing coffee down my throat. I think she thought it would help her sick little daughter so coffee-soaked french bread was pushed down my throat. Of course, I didn't enjoy it at the time... you can't make me do what I don't want to do. Anyways, the coffee bug stuck...

I know it's not the best thing for me... the caffeine, the teeth staining, etc. So what? I don't really care. It tastes good and it makes me happy.

Over the years, I've always had some form of a coffee maker starting with the cheap crap that will do in college to what I have now. I'm going to be using the one I have now until the thing dies on me.

When I first saw the machine, I was in awe. It seemed like the perfect kitchen appliance for me... a single cup coffee maker and a nice one at that. I'm talking about the Breville single-cup coffeemaker. It didn't take long from the time I saw it for it to land in my kitchen. Of course, I wasn't going to have such a nice coffee maker without accompanying it with an equally nice coffee grinder- The Breville Ikon burr grinder.

Then I started to use it. When it says you have 4 sizes, it doesn't just mean 4 sizes. It also means coffee strength because you need to fill the K-Cup thingy with 2 tablespoons of coffee no matter what. Once I figured out what size I want (which was the largest; I know, I like my coffee on the weaker side), I've been in coffee heaven.

The machine is beautiful to look at, it's easy to operate, and it makes the perfect cup of coffee every time (amount and strength). I'm equally happy with the burr grinder. I don't know what I was thinking buying my coffee already ground. It's just not the same.

No comments: