Monday, June 8, 2009

the magic bullet

Last summer, my family had a reunion in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. For the last few days of the trip, I stayed with one of my aunts in a timeshare. They packed a crazy amount of stuff including food and appliances for the kitchen- rice cooker and the Magic Bullet. During the whole time, my aunt would use the Magic Bullet to make all kinds of drinks- margaritas, piña coladas, etc. I wanted to watch every time she used it. It would quickly crush ice and make drinks. I also love the idea of making a drink just the right size for me (and pulling out my heavy blender is just no fun... it either stays out on the counter forever or in the cabinets forever).

When I was finally back home, I looked up this miracle appliance but forgot about it as soon as I thought about it. Well... recently I was in Macy's picking up some sheets and I saw the Magic Bullet. Suddenly, I remembered the days in Mexico and my need for the Magic Bullet. It got me looking it up again. The reviews are mixed. People either love it or hate it. Knowing that it's a mere $60, I don't expect it to do everything in the kitchen or that it will last forever. I do expect it to make a quick smoothie. I know it's been around for awhile but I've never been one to be sold on "As Seen on TV" products.

What are your thoughts? Am I dork for wanting one? If you have one, what do you love about it? Is it a guilty pleasure?

No comments: